Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Ron" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 10:22 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

And, they ALL try to sell you stuff.

============

At least a dozen times in 20 years, my independent mechanic told me "You
don't need to do (whatever). Save your money." Or "Do that yourself - it's
crazy to pay me for it. Wait for spring when you can do it in your
driveway."

You've never gone to a good independent mechanic.

And not all the tire-store mechs are dishonest or incompetent, either. At my
first job, my office was right across the street from a B.F.Goodrich store.
Took my wife's car in there, after she'd gotten some outrageous repair
estimates at the Firestone across the street from where *she* worked -- they
wanted to replace almost the entire front end on her car, when the only real
problem was worn-out lower ball joints. Changed out the LBJs myself, then took
the car to Goodrich for an alignment. Told the guy at Goodrich what Firestone
had told my wife; he said, quote, Aw, hell, there ain't nothin' wrong with
none of that s**t!