Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 9:45 pm, Tegger wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
:

On Jun 15, 7:38 pm, Tegger wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote in
:

Thoughts?

Just one. And it's a question. Well, two questions.
1) WHAT KIND OF CAR IS THIS?
2) WHAT ENGINE HAS IT GOT

Not all cars are the same. Not all engines are the same. Not all
years of the same car and/or engine are the same.

Leave out that info and all you'll get are possibly bogus guesses;
shots in the dark.

2004 Honda Odyssey
3.5L SOHC, 24-Valve, VTEC V6 engine

The engine info is an educated guess since AFAIK that's the only
engine the vehicle came with.

Are you sure about that 90K limit? I thought that by 2004 the OEM belt
was
good for 105K/84mo.

Having said that, Honda builds a pretty big safety margin into their OEM
belts. I've seen the 90K ones go as much as 150K before breaking.

If you really want to push this, you're /probably/ OK until about
120/130K.
After that, it's a crapshoot, as is valve damage ($$$) when the belt does
finally slip/break.

So look at it this way:

Say you spend $600 to get the job done /right/, which means water pump,
tensioner and coolant as well as the belt, all with proper OEM parts. And
you do this at 90K. Now you hang on to the car until 150K. This means
your
$600 is amortized over 60K miles. That's one cent per mile.

Now, say you wait until 120K to get the job done, but still get rid of
the
car at 150K. $600 over 30K is: two cents per mile. And you're running the
risk of belt slippage/breakage, and the resultant risk of valve damage.
Plus the risk of being stranded at possibly a really inconvenient time.

I can tell you that you will almost certainly NOT make it to 150K on the
original timing belt, so you /are/ going to need to spend at /least/ $600
at some point unless you dump the vehicle at something well under 120K.

So, ultimately, your question involves pennies and dimes.

The Beach Boys saved their pennies and they saved their dimes for that
409,
but nickels and dimes aren't worth much these days.

--
Tegger

Are you sure about that 90K limit?

That's what the dealer told him. I don't know if he still has the
manual, but I can ask.

And for what's it's worth, your thoughts are the same as what I've
tried to say a few times in this thread - why wait?

It is an interference engine
http://www.gates.com/part_locator/in...cation_id=3598

http://www.gates.com/downloads/downl...older=brochure
The Gates manual says 105,000 miles.