Posted to alt.home.repair
Larry Fishel Larry Fishel is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

First, sorry I lost track of who was who and thought your post stating
that you left out that info on purpose was speculation by someone
else.

On Jun 16, 3:41 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Do you not think that the mechanics (plural) who said "wait" know
whether or not the "failed belt causes damage or just leaves him
stranded"?

I would hope they would know that.

Assuming they took that into consideration and still said "wait",
doesn't that bring it back to the "decision process" independent of
the vehicle?

I don't follow your logic at all. The vehicle IS part of the decision
process. Maybe you should ask THEM why they came to the conclusion
they did. If they don't say anything about what will happen to the
engine if the belt fails (or say nothing will happen), continue
looking until you find someone who does. Maybe they just believe that
there is very little chance of it failing, which is the only way I can
imagine the type of engine not figuring in.

Alternatively, we still might be "failing to communicate" and by
"independent of vehicle" you really do mean that you are asking for a
decision process that includes a step like: "if the vehicle has an
interference engine do A, otherwise do B".