Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default PAT testing. Anyone else think that sometimes, it causes damage?

In ,
Phil wrote:
** Why on earth would a unit like that have to be PAT tested ????

Every mains powered electrical item has to be if used in the work place,
etc. However, the procedure isn't the same for everything.

No requirement exists here in Australia for low risk items used in non
hazardous work environments to be regularly tested.

Nope. It's 5 Years in an "Environment where the equipment or supply cord
is NOT subject to flexing in normal use and is NOT open to abuse and is
NOT in a hostile environment"

Australia PAT testing (they call it 'test and tag') does looks fairly
similar, if not the same to the UK.

For example, within Victoria the Occupation Health & Safety Act 2004
states:
“An employer must, so far as reasonably practicable, provide and
maintain for employees of the employer a working environment that is
safe and without risk to health.”

Exact same statement is in the UK H&S Act (probably no surprise there -
we probably wrote it on paper first... ;-)

The standard AS/NZS 3760 is referred as a way of implementing this.

Here is the testing interval from that standard.

http://policies.swinburne.edu.au/ppd...num=TEM/2009/7

In the UK however, we have a document published by the IET called "Code
of Practice for In-Service Inspection and testing of electrical
equipment" that recommends the following PAT testing schedule.

It is a bit different ...

http://www.linpat.co.uk/Suggested%20...%20Testing.htm

Australia ain't the world...

He doesn't live in the world ...