Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

"Ron" wrote

It was at a Goodyear and they replace front end parts all the time.
Much rather go there than to some independent mechanic...and no, I'm
not gonna go to a dealership.

I'd use them for an oil change, but nothing more technical than that. Many
try to sell you stuff you don't need. Some are good, many are not.

As for independents, you have to find a really good one. Some are great,
others are thieves using wrenches instead of a gun to stick you up. If you
find a good one, stick with him.

Agree on the dealer. Rare I'd take a car to one aside from warranty work.
Prices are usually the highest, but they usually have good mechanics if you
need something that is particular to the brand you are driving. My dealer,
though, does oil changes cheaper than anyone and they wash the car too. I'd
never let them to the so called xxx miles service though.