Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default OT Incoming phone service only

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 22:29:03 -0400, Tony
wrote:

Jon Danniken wrote:
aemeijers wrote:

And even if the TT pad is disabled, you can still dial by using the
hook lever as a telegraph key....

Used to be able to get the Operator that way, at least. Now you can't even
get the Operator by hitting '0'.

And they call it progress.

Jon

Here is what gets me. It's hard to keep up with what area codes need to
be dialed (ok, toned). If I get a recording telling me not to use the
area code, they could have just as easily made it ring through either way!

Here, they added a second (overlay) area code. AFAIK no numbers have
been assigned to that code, but we're still required to dial all 10
digits even to call someone next door.

BTW, I want to an appliance store recently (an old local store, not
one something like Lowe's) and the (old) salesman was writing
customers phone numbers down with 5 digits (5-digit dialing ended
about 20 years ago, when we got ESS).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Death is an experience best avoided, as it makes reliable internet
access difficult to obtain."