Posted to rec.woodworking
Edward Hennessey[_2_] Edward  Hennessey[_2_] is offline

Default Caulking with Copper?

"Sonny" wrote in message
A friend asked if there is any caulking product containing copper....
cuprous oxide. He wanted to experiment against termites, since
termites tend to avoid copper. Anyone have any info, links, etc.?

Sonny

S:

I don't know about the product possibility that Lew mentioned but
would welcome hearing anything arising. I've used copper napthenate
solution,
lining a slit trench with a plastic sheet and soaking wood in the
trough. Not
cheap, you can't paint over it well, it is herbicidal and, though it
will give him
maybe 10 years of resistance, it doesn't last forever. Look at
"Timbor" too.

On caulks per se, what is he doing, is the wood new or old, will it be
in
the ground or in contact with water and does he want to paint over it?
The climate exposure of the wood is another point. I've seen the
ravages of
a number of species of termites and never seen one eat any caulk. That
being the case, what additional benefit does your friend anticipate
from
a cuprous additive in one?

You may not have ready answers to all the question marks but when your
friend relays them, that is how he'll get a better response. Being a
real fan
of termites, there's a tribute file in another computer that may help
further.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey