Posted to alt.home.repair
h[_11_] h[_11_] is offline

Default Where's the beef? In a freezer, probably

wrote in message
On Jun 16, 12:14 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
Has anyone tried dry aging beef at home? Dry aging is what the top
steak houses all do with their beef, which is what you see in the pics
of meat hanging in window displays, etc. I recently got curious
about this and did a bit of googling. It actually looks to be
relatively easy and safe to do. Ideally you'd want a separate
refrigerator just for that, but plenty of people are doing it in their
regular kitchen fridge. I'm doing an experiment now. I got two
huge 3" thick rib eyes. One I'm going to cook tonight as is, the
other I'm dry aging for a week or so.

Don't bother, you aren't going to be able to do it in a fridge and even
if
you could, a week isn't close to enough time.

And this is based on? Everything I've seen on the internet says it
does in fact work and that it can be done in a home fridge. Here are
two examples:

http://www.askthemeatman.com/is_it_p...ef_at_home.htm

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...ig-flavor.aspx

The first recommends 10 days min, the second example says they had a
significant flavor difference after only 3 days. So, I don;t think a
week is such a bad idea. I'll also see how it goes and may go longer.

We did it last Xmas for 6 days, and it did make a difference in the flavor.
We had carved off one end of the roast to even it out and we ate it that
night (fresh from the butcher) and it was great. 6 days later, the dry-aged
roast was FANTASTIC. I definitely recommend it. We aged it in our tiny,
extra fridge (about 34" high) and I don't know what settings DH used. The
little fridge has some climate settings and we only use it for "weird" stuff
and for extra cold storage at the holidays.