Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Novice Q: which machine?

On 2010-06-16, hylourgos wrote:
There's a couple projects I'd like to make, but it's been 30 years
since I've done any serious metalwork (decent HS machine shop). I'd
like to do a little metalwork again, so here's the two projects, can
you tell me which machine I'll need to start out with? Any other good
advice also welcome.

1) Grinder shaft adapter: 3/4" coarse thread to 1/2" reducer/adapter
(I have a bench grinder w/ a 3/4" threaded shaft. I want to reduce
that shaft to a 1/2" shaft)

O.K. That sounds like a lathe -- with threading gearing for
inch threads.

2) Stickler log splitting type of tool. This is basically a solid
metal cone: about 4-5" at wide diameter down to a sharp point, about
12" long, the whole thing coarse threaded. Threaded hole also in wide
dia. side to accept shaft. When powered, this is used to split logs

Hmm ... a bit trickier.

A lathe can make both of these, right? Are these really complex
projects? Can a mini lathe do the work?

A bit more material to remove than a mini lathe would be happy
with.

and the thread is a bit more of a trick, since it requires both
threading capability (likely a coarser thread than the mini lathes are
likely to handle) and a taper attachment which can be used at the same
time.

Are the inexpensive harbor
freight units OK?

I don't think that they are available with taper attachments, so
I don't think that you can make the splitter with them. And I don't
think that they cut coarse enough thread pitches as well.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564