Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby James Waldby is offline

Default Auto Body metal working / HF items

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:27:52 -0500, RogerN wrote:

Currently I'm in Evansville Indiana, the company I work for sent me for
Siemens S7 PLC training.

Anyway, on the way back from supper we saw a Harbor Freight store, I had
never been in one before. We made it to the store at 7:40PM and they
close at 8:00PM so I didn't buy anything yet, but will be going back a
time or two before we leave Friday. My experience with cheap tools is
that some are fine, some are crap, but I've been satisfied with most.
If I use a tool enough that a cheap tool doesn't hold up then I'll get a
better quality.

Any recommended Harbor Freight tools to get or avoid for auto body (or
other) metal working, sanding, and painting? I thought there might be
some favorite HF tool recommendations to get while I'm here.

A year ago I bought a couple of 24" vernier calipers at HF for $7 each;
closeout items, so might not be available anymore, but worth looking
for. They're not super-duper items for metalworking, but great for
carpentry; aluminum rather than steel, and 1/128" resolution on the
inch scale, 0.05mm on the metric scale, good feel to the slide and
overall good appearance.

Also see if 6" digital calipers are on sale - they usually are
priced about $20 at HF, but often go on sale for $15 or so, and
sometimes $10.

--
jiw