Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Acrylic windows

On 6/16/2010 9:40 AM, Jean wrote:
For clarification: In the current windows in my Florida sun room, the
transparent portion is made of clear thin vinyl (the material is kinda like
heavy duty freezer baggies). What I'm interested in doing is changing the
transparent part to hard acrylic. I am NOT interested in changing to glass
windows.

Jean

wrote in message
On 6/15/2010 11:59 AM, bud-- wrote:
Jean wrote:
I currently have vinyl windows on my (Florida) porch. I've heard that
the latest acrylic windows are pretty good and I was thinking about
replacing the vinyl windows with them. Has anyone used the acrylic
windows? If so, are they pretty scratch resistant? Would you use them
again?

Thanks,

Jean

Windows made out of vinyl?

I have one acrylic window and several that are polycarbonate. I used
them for impact resistance. Polycarbonate (Lexan is a brand) is much
more impact resistant than acrylic. I believe polycarbonate is more
scratch resistant - neither is particularly impressive. I don't believe
either has a problem with becoming less clear with age. Polystyrene
turns yellow with age - don't know if anyone made windows out of it.

Cannot tell if she is talking about glass or trim. For trim both would
weather OK but acrylic glazing is better for impact resistance but will
haze with age due to abrasion by particulate but this could be buffed out.

Did not realize they made vinyl windows. I would imagine acrylic would
be much better. Light stability is good and it does not contain
plasticizers as used in PVC which often bleed out. I would imagine
light transmission is better with acrylic.

I glazed a basement window that kids had broken kicking ball with
acrylic several years ago and it still looks fine.