Posted to alt.home.repair
Jean Jean is offline

Default Acrylic windows

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 6/15/2010 6:45 AM Jean spake thus:

I currently have vinyl windows on my (Florida) porch. I've heard that the
latest acrylic windows are pretty good and I was thinking about replacing
the vinyl windows with them. Has anyone used the acrylic windows? If so,
are they pretty scratch resistant? Would you use them again?

Just curious why ordinary window glass won't do for you. Obviously there
must be some reason. Hurricanes? wind-blown debris? birds?

Let me restate the situation:

The window panes in my Florida sun room (i.e., basically just a covered
screened porch) are made of an optically clear vinyl -like heavy duty
freezer baggies. I'm thinking about changing the panes to hard acrylic (or
Lexan).

Glass is not an acceptable alternative - I'd have to get a permit and bring
the room up to local housing code (possibly install footers, possibly
install additional roof supports, add insulation, install electrical
outlets, etc.). The cost of all that is considerable and my property taxes
would increase.

So, does anyone have any experience with acrylic windows? Are they fairly
scratch resistant?

Jean