Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 12:59:02 -0400, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"failure just means a tow"? Maybe.

Imagine suddenly NOT having engine power to maneuver around some sort of
hazard. That could be fun.

I've had it happen while passing once - it was a bit of a strange
experience because there was so much wind noise (I had the roof down)
that I couldn't hear the engine running anyway, so in the first instant
it wasn't obvious what the fault was until I saw the tacho needle sitting
at zero.

Turned out to be a broken wire to the coil; I was back on the road within
five minutes after a temporary fix. Fortunately there was a big enough
gap behind the line of cars that I was passing at the time that I could
tuck in behind them when the engine died and then park up off the
roadside.

cheers

Jules