Posted to uk.d-i-y
george [dicegeorge] george [dicegeorge] is offline

Default OT. Ubuntu best Linux for beginner

and
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ubuntulinux/

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
Ubuntu 10.04 LongTerm Support,
if it works from the CD and you dont need 30 days of winxp
then i'd click the option to let it use all the hard drive
and click yes to almost everything.

The more standard vanilla your installation then the easier to get help.

A separate home partition is not easy, after 2 years of ubuntu i'm
thinking of having one..
but I've only used command line once or twice-
GUI is safer.
and with ubuntu theres lots of support out there.

http://ubuntu-manual.org/download/10.04/en_US/screen

https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/index.html

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Invisible Man wrote:
I have a laptop with no Windows license (apart from a PC with Windows
7 64 bit and a PC with XP SP3).

Thought I might try Linux. Is Ubuntu the easiest and most stable to
start with?

Any advice on pitfalls etc.

Laptop has a 30 day install of XP on the c drive. Do I use another
partition for the linux software and the third for other files?

TIA for any replies. I have been using MS Windows PCs since 3.1 and
anticipate a steep learning curve.