Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default OT. Ubuntu best Linux for beginner

On Jun 15, 7:51*pm, Invisible Man wrote:
I have a laptop with no Windows license (apart from a PC with Windows 7
64 bit and a PC with XP SP3).

Thought I might try Linux. Is Ubuntu the easiest and most stable to
start with?

Any advice on pitfalls etc.

Laptop has a 30 day install of XP on the c drive. Do I use another
partition for the linux software and the third for other files?

TIA for any replies. I have been using MS Windows PCs since 3.1 and
anticipate a steep learning curve.

I'd suggest going for Mint, its a variant of Ubuntu. The difference
between it and the base Ubuntu is that all the stuff you'll need is
already setup, no messing about required. Its far easier to install
and to learn than windows.

Partitioning with ubuntu or mint is the one thing that, if someone has
no technical understanding, isnt totally goof proof. When partitioning
I'd suggest a swap partition of 2 or 4G, not the default 1G.

NT