Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Abby Sunderland - Uh oh...

On 6/15/2010 10:37 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 6/15/2010 8:21 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 6/15/2010 3:52 AM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
On 6/14/2010 1:55 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Lobby Dosser wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Andrew Barss wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Andrew Barss wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I'm willing to share in the everyday risk we all encounter,
but I'm not willing to pay for every daredevil that wants to
set
a record.

Vey well put.

-- Andy Barss

Except that neither of you are paying for it.

Ed and I were talking about the general case of foolhardy risk
junkies and fame seekers,, not (just) this one example.

and my response still applies. You aren't paying for that - it's
already in the funding for the SAR service.

Including the charter of an aircraft?

May well be. It is common for organizations like this to have
plans to
do just that - it saves on the cost of ownership. I don't know
myself,
but I would not be at all surprised if a charter was part of their
operational plan all along. But back to the comments that have
appeared here - that charter airplane did not cost the people doing
the commenting, a penny - or even a half a penny.

Do you think they charter aircraft for TRAINING?

For training what?

SAR training.

If the use of such is a regular part of their activities then why
would they not?

Expense.

So which costs more, renting or owning?

You thinking of leasing? Have you considered the required maintenance
costs?

Answer the question.