Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Roll your own air compressor?

Vernon wrote:
Hi,

Some time ago, on ebay, I bought a new air compressor pump like the
one shown he

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/2Z498

Although the pump has now been discontinued the site shows the
technical specs for it.

In the side of the compressor head are two threaded holes. One
appears to be 5/8" or perhaps 9/16" and the other, is 3/8".

According to the grainger site the outlet is the 3/8" hole. I have a
couple of other compressors and they have a single outlet hole and it
appears to be larger size.

Can somebody help me understand what both these outlets (assuming
they're both outlets) are for? I originally hoped the compressor
would provide enough air to supply a TD Cutmaster 51 plasma cutter.
It looks like it is not capable of doing that. Nevertheless, I would
like to assemble a small portable, light weight compressor with it. I
have a lightweight portable, but the buzzing noise drives me crazy.

If somebody could point me to a schematic of the necessary safety
components I will appreciate it.

Thanks,

One hole is an inlet the other the compressed air outlet.

That unit looks a lot like the ones used on many of the old milk cooler
units.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)