Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

"Ron" wrote in message
I can't even remember that last time I had a water pump
fail....probably sometime in the early 80's on a Celia that had about
150K on it.

Spending money just to be spending is stupid, And most of the shops
use aftermarket parts which end up failing before the factory part
would have anyway.

Oh, and I just checked the owners manuals for my Honda, Toyota, and
Mazda...and there is ZIPPO about replacing the water pump. I suggest
you buy a better car.

The water pump replacement depends on the car. Some Toyotas have the water
pump under the timing belt and you have to remove all the stuff anyway.
Might as well spend an extra $ 100 while inside the motor. If you only got
150 K miles out of the water pump that means your pump may fail 30 K miles
or so before you go back into the moter for the timing belt.
Timing belts fail and leave you stranded. The alternator can go out and
usually you can still drive for a short distance. If the AC compressor
fails, you just get hot and it can be repaired at any time.
Some cars break the timing belt and the valves hit the pistons and you are
in for major expenses.

Why change oil? Just add some if needed..

I had a Toyota with enough miles on it to replace the belt the second time.
I did not change it as the trade in value was only about what the belt
change would have been. I had decided if it failed to just let the car go
to the junk yard. It did last long enough that I bought a new truck. I
sold the car to a co-worker. I did tell him the belt ws about 20 K miles
overdue and if he did not change it right away not to ask for a refund.
My mechanic wanted to change the water pump and he showed me why. I let
him. He only uses parts made by the makers of the cars he works on for
major parts.