Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_] Tegger[_2_] is offline

Default Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

Robert Neville wrote in
:

Red wrote:

AFAIK, they're required by the EPA everywhere in the USA. Along with
a fine of $150 per each non-compliant can sold by any retailer.
That's why you can't find the non-compliant ones anymore. FWIW, EPA
does not regulate the nozzle design, just the specs it must meet.
Therefore, the crappy ones we're seeing could be made much better if
the manufacturers get enough complaints.
Google EPA and portable fuel containers.

Seems like a great business opportunity - sell just the old style
nozzle.

That's what we have up here in Canada. I'm seeing California-approved 1.5
gallon gas cans with what /must/ be CARB-approved nozzles. I say "must"
because of how extraordinarily difficult it is to manipulate them so that
they will actually dispense gasoline.

And right next to them on the shelf are the old-style corrugated yellow
nozzles for about $4 each. They're a perfect fit in place of the difficult
nozzles. Alongside are sold the little caps you use to seal off the cap
when the nozzle is inverted for storage.

Actually, the yellow nozzles aren't precisely the old-style, as they now
incorporate a small vent tube immediately above the delivery tube. The vent
tube would be necessary on account of the fact that the can itself has no
vent hole at its rear.

The brand-name on all of the above is "Scepter".

--
Tegger