Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Miller[_2_] Kevin Miller[_2_] is offline

Default Highway robbery...

Nova wrote:
Kevin Miller wrote:
I've had a 3m Airmate for a number of years now, and my battery is
pretty much at the end of it's useful life. I pulled up the battery
in google and the price ranges from around $95 to over $175 or more.
Krappin' Krishna! I'm on my 2nd battery and some years ago I tore
open my first pack and it consists of three D-cell nicads wired
together. Three D-cells. It boggles the mind.

Worst part is, there's a metal strap that connects them all that is
sort of stapled into the top and bottom. It would be *so* easy to
make that pack such that you can pop the lid, and drop in three new
batteries. But nope. Not a chance.

Chalk it up to corporate greed or lawyers being involved. Or both.

Wonder if Batteries Plus could renew my old pack for a reasonable cost?

Sorry for the OT rant, but this urks me. Besides, we haven't had any
decent COC activity in ages...

....Kevin

Could you buy a three D-Cell battery holder like the one below and wire
it into the Airmate?

http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/536...ugs-bh3dl.html

Well, yeah, but I hate kludging things together. The battery pack is
inside the belt pack/fan and is sealed on the inside by a HEPA filter.
I kind of want to maintain the integrity of the seal. Breathing sawdust
long term is not all that good for you...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska