Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Gonzo Machining for the Day

Tim Wescott wrote:

Of course the engineer had to approve it, he of course started improving it (we will see)
but he did take it out to the line for use until he gets his tool made his way.

Well, if he does improve it then huzzah! And if he's smart enough to
get out of the way when yours works -- huzzah twice!

I found his solidworks file on the network today ( I have RO access to engineering) and
inserted the piston into his assembly. He did okay. Drew it with the pin tangent to the
piston but he has enough clearance for the fastener that I can slide the handle out enough
for it to work as I made my proto type. I wanted the pin 0.01" proud of the piston on the
diameter.

(worse comes to worse, I have a round file )

One of the things I needed to learn as an engineer is when you want to
just get by with a crappy little tool, and when it's essential that you
step back, take a deep breath, and really _design_ something.

I don't know if I'm there yet -- I've finished projects, fat and happy
in a pile of new tools, then realized that I could have done the whole
thing with a sharp stick and a rock.

I made a sharp stick and a rock product to prove my idea. He did pretty it up a bit. Wish
I could post pictures of mine and his but that NDA is in the way.

He did okay, there was one change I wanted to make and he made it as I suggested.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Wes