Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Need a "constant torque" slip clutch

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 17:31:06 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Spehro Pefhany fired this volley in
:

https://sdp-si.com/estore/..%5Css%5CPDF%5C78013006.PDF

That's a great concept, and I almost fell for it... but the device in the
torque rating I need would weigh 94 lb! g

LLoyd

A powered one would probably weigh less. I used one once, analog 24V
signal, relatively high current in. I'd done the dancer arm-pot
thing, but this had to account for lumps, sticky stuff, etc. I ran
the web over a roller mounted on load cells which gave tension
directly. I think I used a 120 deg. contact. Worked a treat. When a
lump of gels hit the takeup, the lessening in tension would be
detected and the slip clutch would tighten up until it passed the
lump.

Pete Keillor