Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default OT - Decision Process: Replace Timing Belt Now or Wait?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
Here's the situation a friend and I were discussing the other day:

The manual - and therefore the dealer - says the timing belt on his
vehicle should be replaced at 90K, which is right where he's at.

He called around to various repair shops for a price and multiple
places told him "I've never seen a timing belt go on that vehicle
before 110K. The dealers just want their money early. There's no need
to replace it at 90K." He was even able to "verify" that opinion on
the web.

First, determine if it is an interference engine. Go the the Gates Belt
web site and you can look it up. They also give the recommended change
intervals.

If it is interference, change it now or you can trash the engine. If it
is no, you may be tempted to go a bit longer. Age is a factor also as
rubber does deteriorate with age.

The manual does build in a safety factor. The key is knowing just how
much. The cost of replacing now is $X.XX. The cost of waiting and having
a faileure is $XXX + cost of a tow+cost of a motel if out of town+cost of
other potential inconvenience.

If you are contemplating selling the car, a recently changed belt adds a
bit to the resale value and buyer confidence for the new guy.

FWIW,. many manufacturere state 60,000 change times.

FWIW, TY, I stand corrected. I made a statement that it would be no big
deal if it stripped a timing belt, not being aware of the valve interface
issue. When I worked on cars as a youth, you could set the points with a
matchbook cover, and I could have the heads off a 283 Chevy V8 in less than
an hour. Things have changed.

Steve

Visit my site at http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer
is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.