Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Issue with Philips home theater system

Hi!

No, I wasn't looking for a magic fix, but rather some ideas that I
could maybe try.

Well, you could try unplugging it for a few hours, but I cannot see
this doing any good.

*I'm not an expert, so I don't even know what it meant by trying the
"caps".

Caps are "capacitors". Although they're made of a variety of different
materials, the ones that are typically troublesome are known as
electrolytics. They contain a roll of thin metal foil and a moistened
paper inside. They usually look like cylindrical cans of varying
sizes.

Some overworked, cheap or improperly made capacitors fail when the
paste dries up. Sometimes such capacitors look defective (tops or
bottoms bulged out, leaking paste, etc) and sometimes they do not.

New electrolytic capacitors are cheap, and if you replace the bad ones
soon, your equipment can be brought back to life. You'll need a
soldering iron, something to desolder with and of course, some new
solder.

Why the cynicism?

I think it's because you asked in a newsgroup dedicated to the repair
of electronic devices and then expressed a total lack of interest in
fixing your equipment.

But that's just a guess... :-)

William