Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Fishscale welds

On Jun 15, 10:14*am, "SteveB" wrote:
"stryped" wrote One thing I noticed.....

My dad just bought a new gooseneck trailer. Looking at the welds, they
were uggly! No fishscales and irregular welds everywhere. I guess a
weld does nto need to be pretty to be strong.

One thing I wanted to ask. Your comment on moisture and 7018 got me
thinking. I dont have an oven to put my electrodes in. They are in one
of those screw on tubes you buy from the store. Could I by a cheap
toaster oven. ( I think that is what they are called). nd bake them in
that? It would take up a minimal amount of room. Can you make them
more than once?

I went to buy a small 10 x 12 trailer, and had to look at a dozen before I
found one that had acceptable welding. *And it had two missing welds. *The
production shops of today just push them out, but I don't understand it. *A
good weld takes just as long as a bad one. *I think that when anyone gets to
welding good, they leave a production shop and get a better job.

Make yourself a rod oven. *One of those dead little tiny dorm fridges, about
20" cubical is good. *Something that seals good. *Gut it except for the
insulation. *Put a light bulb in it for heat. *It's all you need. *Other
things can be utilized, or you can buy a $1,000 rod oven, but you can find a
derelict tiny fridge, and have enough left over for a used shop fridge, some
beer, and a few months of cable from one of those tittie channels.

Steve

Visit my site athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

All errors, brain farts, misspelled words intentional because this computer
is set to Spelchek French, and I can't get it to do any different.

Is that safe to leave unattended in a detached building?

Also this will not "fix" a rod with moisture will it? I thought the
temp had to get to 500 degrees or so?