Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default OT. Ubuntu best Linux for beginner

On Jun 15, 7:51*pm, Invisible Man wrote:
I have a laptop with no Windows license (apart from a PC with Windows 7
64 bit and a PC with XP SP3).

Thought I might try Linux. Is Ubuntu the easiest and most stable to
start with?

Any advice on pitfalls etc.

Laptop has a 30 day install of XP on the c drive. Do I use another
partition for the linux software and the third for other files?

TIA for any replies. I have been using MS Windows PCs since 3.1 and
anticipate a steep learning curve.

Linux is a multi distribution network with each one virtually locking
in the user to that particular brand. Ubuntu has a foot print of 4 or
5 GB on a hard disc. Dream or any of the small Linux OSs have a
footprint of 30 to 50 megabytes.

IIWY I'd get Linux Format and try the varieties they offer. Then get
someone to make a USB live distro for you out of the one you like
best.

Trouble spots are getting flash and stuff. So look for a version that
gives immediate access to the stuff you want by trying it on a live
DVD from the mag.

There are about 4 or 5 different Linux mags if you can find them.
Smiths is about the only one with a multiple choice in the season. The
distro will do virtually everything for you that the OS is geared for.

So the steep curve is about knowing how to get more stuff -and
downloading it is just the start of the problem.