Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Possible termite problem (long post)

Spork wrote:
Orkin came out and looked things over. It was the branch manager along
with a new guy. The manager seemed to know his stuff but I think I was
more knowledgeable than the new guy. Anyway they didn't do a real good
inspection. Mostly just looked over the basement and around the
foundation. Once they find the evidence I guess they figure its not
needed to go around and tap the baseboards and check the attic. They
did also find carpenter ants though! Maybe they could be the reason
that every tube I'm finding is inactive.

They are coming out and going to use termidor. I realize the guy is
just a salesmen but it sounds like to be done properly the stuff needs
to be measured out. They are also filling the ground by the support
posts of the house. They are spraying something on the surface outside
as well for the carpenter ants. Will this work as well to get rid of
them?

So now for a few more questions. Even though they are treated wood the
guy suggested using metal supports in the house and removing the wood
ones. How necessary do you think this would be? He also said its
better to pull all the insulation from the area between the foundation
and the floor above and leave it open so it can dry easier. The other
thing he noticed in the room we are finishing was the foam board. He
said foam board is a no no for bug prone areas. Its hard to treat
behind if there ever is a problem and makes a good hiding place for
bugs.

I'm still concerned about the possible damage that could of been done.
My cousin who builds homes said my floor joists are probly ok. It
would take several in a row with serious damage to cause problems.
After poking around it appears they may have just made some small
paths through it. It didn't sound hollow to me nor was I able to poke
into the wood on either side. Once the carpenter ants are gone I'm
going to do some more poking around in the outside sheeting that I can
get to to see if there are any more problems. Its driving me nuts that
I can't see inside the wall above this area.

Just wanted to give everyone a update and see if the advice checks
out.

Spork

You may find carpenter ants in any damp/damaged wood, which includes
termite tunnels. I would not give any confidence to any other pest
eating the termites...it is give and take among rather massive
populations. What helps keep out termites also helps keep out carpenter
ants...wood no closer than 6" from ground, all wood kept properly
finished/painted, all gaps betw. structural components closed up and
caulked, including plumb./elec. entries. Check your plumbing access
panels. Keep shrubs and trees from contacting wood structure. Crawl
spaces should be inspected inside and out...one bad practice that almost
guarantees termites is to extend stucco or siding to the soil...they
don't even have to bother with mud tubes, as it is "laying out the
welcome mat".

When my husband and I were making repairs around our condo, there was an
outdoor wood partition badly damaged by misdirected sprinkler and then
by termites...neglect that had taken place before we lived here...and
there was about a 1 foot length of 1x12 board that had nothing left but
the coat of paint...rather amazing to see every particle of wood cleaned
out of it. They also favor the paper coating on wallboard....it was
interesting to learn about all the critters and conditions that had
affected our condo for a long time...to watch carpenter ants evacuate
nests when disturbed by applying insecticide. After a few large bags of
insecticide did nothing for our carpenter ants, we eventually got things
cleaned up so that they went away...pruned dead wood from hedges,
repaired damaged wood, caulked, etc. Trying to spray and entire
foundation for carpenter ants is foolish...they forage beginning at dusk
and it is easy to find their trails and put out baits.