Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Issue with Philips home theater system

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 03:53:03 -0700, ǝʇoɹʍ:

On Jun 14, 6:54*am, "Mark Zacharias"
wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

" wrote in message

On Jun 13, 12:32 pm, Arfa Daily wrote:
On 13/06/2010 15:21, wrote:

Strange thing happening with my home theater system. *The red on
light is flashing rapidly, almost to the point of being
completely on solid, and when you press on the power button the
indicator shows "TV" or "Disc" or whatever, but turns off after
just a few seconds. *Any clue what's going on here? *Thanks in
advance for any help you can provide.

Either one of the secondary-side electrolytics is failing, or one
of the secondary side rectifiers is leaky. Either way, get it
sorted soon as, because if the regulation fails because of the main
rail appearing *to be low, much other damage can be done to LSIs
elsewhere in the machine.

Arfa

Thanks for your help. *I hate to waste, but since they don't cost
that much these days, I'm thinking I'll just replace it.

Thanks again.

Bob

Well, for the sake of a few pennies worth of caps I would have
thought it was worth a go at least. Otherwise, what was the point of
asking the question on here ?

Arfa

Indeed, did he think it could be fixed magically and at no cost via
usenet?

Mark Z.

No, I wasn't looking for a magic fix, but rather some ideas that I could
maybe try. I'm not an expert, so I don't even know what it meant by
trying the "caps".
Why the cynicism?

So would you rather have someone tell you to ****-can it? If you don't
know what "caps" are you have no business seeking repair advice.