Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Incoming phone service only

Jon Danniken wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Some 15 years ago, I made a repair at the home of a woman and her
mother. The woman was 70 and her mother was 100 years of age. They
had a 1948 Western Electric rotary dial phone with cloth cords
that they were still paying rent on to Bell South.

If there's one thing I've learned about the phone company, it is that they
will never tell you when any particular charge or fee has become outmoded.

*******s.

Jon

Not always true. Yeah, they did charge rent for years, but a couple 3-4
years after letting people buy out their phones for around 30 bucks,
IIRC, they simply abandoned all the others in place. Didn't have much
choice, really- the WE plant had closed, and they no longer had an
operation in place to recycle them with fresh plastic and stuff. So if a
renter returned one, they couldn't do anything with it.

I'm old fashioned- I like WE phones, and detest the lightweight crap
issued since then. Glad I have a crate of real phones in the basement. I
used to pull them out of the trash at the apartments, or buy them for a
buck at garage sales, but haven't seen any in the last 2-3 years.

--
aem sends...