Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fan install and wiring Q

On Jun 14, 8:39*pm, "Joe J" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jun 14, 1:03 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 11:33:58 -0500, Joe J wrote:
I started what I thought would be medium difficulty project and now on
stumped.
I wanted to install a ceiling fan in the master bedroom. *There
currently
are no ceiling lights, just a wall switch which controls half of the
wall
outlets. *I have access to the basement and attic and since there is no
wiring in the basement, I assumed it all ran through the attic. *Wrong,
nothing up there either, it all runs through the walls.
I found the header above the wall switch and drilled a one inch hole
through
that and see that I'm in the right space after shinning a light down.
How do I proceed?
The wall box has two 14/3 romex coming in and both reds are tied
together
with a jumper from that to the switch. *Same for the blacks and a
jumper.
The two whites are tied together.
Do I tear out the wall box, find the hot red, fish a line down from the
attic and run a new line to the fan? *I want to lose the switched
outlets
and have both halves of the outlets hot all the time. *Then the switch
can
control the fan.
Or...I'm assuming one of those 14/3 cables has power on both red and
black.
Could I run a 14/3 cable to the fan and have separate light and fan
switch
given the setup in that box now? *I'm thinking three blacks tied
together,
two reds (losing the switched outlets feature) with jumper to both
switches.
Any guidance would be appreciated. *Summer is here and that attic is
getting
hot!

Hire a competant electrician; *they know how to snake wires.
If your time is worth more than about a dollar an hour, you'll save
money.

Is this a regular switch or 3way? * Assuming it's a regular switch,
best guess would be that the blacks are the hot wire and the reds are
the switched side. * All you need to do is identify the hot. *Then you
need to permanently connect the black to red, eliminating the
switch. * Then you replace the switch with a fan control switch,
connecting the switch to hot, wire from it to fan, and neutral to the
fan tied to the other neutrals. * The hardest part will be snaking
between the switch box and the hole in the top plate. * You should be
able to do that by punching out a hole in the top of the box. *You
definitely don't want to tear the box out, unless it's an old work box
that you can see will come out. * Regular boxes are nailed to the
stud.

Another option that may be easier and better is to use a wireless
remote to control the fan. * They also have holders so you can have a
resting place for it next to the switch. * But you could also use it
next to the bed to adjust the fan without getting up. * If you go that
route, all you need is to find a circuit in the attic that you can tap
on to. * The fan gets powered up permanently.

It's a single pole switch. *Also, there are no power runs in the attic or
basement, that's part of my problem.- Hide quoted text -

You should have power in the box with the switch already. You can add
the fan/light to that circuit.