Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Worksharp for turning tools?

"mac davis" wrote in message
I'm curious about this system.. Any turners using it?

Two main questions:

Is it any improvement for sharpening turning tools over a low speed
grinder and
a jig?

Does it generate more or less debris than conventional sharpening?
My shop is in the house, so my grinders are all outside on the carport..
The main reason for this is to keep metal shavings and sparks out of the
house
and away from wood shaving, etc..

As the weather heats up and I'm looking at another summer of high heat and
humidity, I'm thinking it would be really nice to touch up tool edges
inside, to
avoid the constant trips from air conditioned shop to hot/humid carport
and
back..

Any experience with this thing??

Many good responses given already.

As I am in the same boat I thought I would share my thought process. I have
had a look at both Worksharp and Tormek close up. I have spent much time
looking up reviews and studying the technical lit but have no working
experience with either:

1) One of the selling points of Worksharp is "air-cooling". This is plain
nonsense on theoretical grounds (water carries heat away 40 times faster
than air). At least one review I found states clearly that overheating is
*not* avoided with Worksharp although it is going to be less than a common
bench grinder due to lower RPM.

2) Because of the nature of the disc there is going to be an appreciable
difference in the surface speed of the section towards the periphery as
opposed closer to the center. At least one review mentions this as being of
practical importance if grinding wide blades - the edge gets a
"differential" grind. I suspect this is less of an issue with turning tools.

3) Another Worksharp selling point is that there is no watery slurry mess. I
gather that there is significant *powdery* mess, possibly worse than with a
bench grinder as the disc throws the filings horizontally unlike a bench
grinder which does so downwards.

4) I don't know about you but the main reason I am looking for a different
sharpening system is grinding of fingernail/Irish gouges. Everything else
can be done on a grinder with a rest. I cannot see how the Worksharp makes
gouges any easier.

5) There is no question in my mind that if I had $700+ lying about spare I
would get the Tormek. All the pros I know use the Tormek. One caveat is that
it is quite slow at reshaping tools so a bench grinder with a suitable wheel
is still needed as well as an identical jig for e.g. gouges.

6) As things stand I shall probably buy the Wolverine jig (a copy I made was
less than successful) and use it with my bench grinders. Of interest is that
Oneway recommend *high* surface speeds for sharpening turning tools (8"
grinder at 3450 rpm).

All that said, if you do decide to buy the Worksharp keep us posted on its
performance.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC