Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default For those with Car ABS and ECU problems;!..

In message
, Man
at B&Q writes
On Jun 14, 1:17*am, geoff wrote:
In message o.uk, Dave
Liquorice writes

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:11:45 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

The vast majority of faults are not fancy electronic failures. 90% are
mechanical, connector, chaffed wire, etc. Of the remaining 10%
electronic problems, 90% of those are PSU-related. Only a very small
percentage is actual gubbins-failure.

I like that breakdown, it's about right. I'd add that a lot of the
rare actual gubbins failures can be put down to the PSU throwing a
wobbly or a spike/dip in the supply.

If stuff survives the first few days or weeks of regular use it will
essentially last forever. Always assuming that it has been designed
well, no components right up at the top of their power rating with
inadequate methods of removing the heat resulting in scorched circuit
boards and weakend joints after a year or three of use or simple
component failure due to being under too much stress.

Lovely sweeping statements based on invalid assumptions there

Pretty accurate actually.

When you've repaired as many pcbs as I have, come back and tell me

--
geoff