Posted to uk.d-i-y
chunkyoldcortina chunkyoldcortina is offline

Default First time Sat TV Choice

John wrote:
As I am on cable I haven't taken much interest in satellite options.

However, I am thinking of getting an installation as a gift for my daughter
as she lives in a non-cabled area and is on a relay station and has poor
reception and not much hope of Freeview for a while.

As I see it there is Freesat and a free offering from Sky.

As I don't think they will want to go down the route of subscribing to
additional services, what benefits does each offer?

The free offering from sky is really intended to get them in the door, so to
speak, hoping you'll eventually switch to paid services.

Freesat is a better genuinely free product.

However, bear in mind that a Sky box and year's subscription can often be had
for a very good price, sometimes cheaper than the outlay cost of a freesat or
"free from sky" setup. Can always cancel after the first year....