Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Casper Casper is offline

Default Worksharp for turning tools?

Yes Mac, I bought it a while ago and it doesn't get the use it should. It
probably works best for bench chisels or plane irons - straight edge and
common bevel angle. For skews you have to freehand it. Same with gouges,
there are no jig options like the Wolverine. Therefore, you must use the
slotted wheels (like the Joul Tool), darken the bevel with a marker and
then freehand sharpen while you can see the bevel. It's OK but just a
pain changing platters for the different grits.

After I got the Worksharp I found a used Tormek. The Tormek being a water
cooled stone totally solves your spark problem. The Tormek (or the
several copies)doesn't remove metal anywhere near as fast as a dry
grinder so you can use the regular slow speed grinder to get approximate
shape you wish and finish grind and hone on the Tormek. The Tormek has
the best jigs out there. It is not problem free but the best option out
there in my opinion. For skews I still finish up on a flat waterstone and
for gouges, many times I get lazy and just hit them on the Wolverine
especially for roughing work.

Overall I'd skip the Worksharp and just go with the Wolverine and Tormek.
I'll let others here compare the Tormek with it's various clones. Hope
this helps you, it certainly is no help to Worksharp which is a quality
tool, but not really for turners.

Jerry

Jerry,

I've also been considering the Worksharp for my turning tools, but I
also do woodcarving. Do you think the Worksharp is any better/worse
for sharpening carving tools over the Tormek (or clones)?

Thanks,
`Casper