Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Cleary[_2_] Kevin Cleary[_2_] is offline

Default Worksharp for turning tools?

Mac,
I have the Tormec grinder and although pretty pricey it gets the job done,
without any sparks.There is also the vast amount of jigs which are nice as
well.
"Maxwell Lol" wrote in message
A Lurker writes:

After I got the Worksharp I found a used Tormek. The Tormek being a water
cooled stone totally solves your spark problem. The Tormek (or the
several copies)doesn't remove metal anywhere near as fast as a dry
grinder so you can use the regular slow speed grinder to get approximate
shape you wish and finish grind and hone on the Tormek. The Tormek has
the best jigs out there. It is not problem free but the best option out
there in my opinion. For skews I still finish up on a flat waterstone and
for gouges, many times I get lazy and just hit them on the Wolverine
especially for roughing work.

I am currently re-doing my Woodcraft slow-speed grinder (now
deceased), by adding both the Wolverine jig holders, and the Tormek
jig holders on both sides. (My first generation, WOlverine only, was a
little wobbly.)

This way I can use both jigs on the grinder. This should make
re-profiling faster on the Tormek, as I don't have to change tool
holders to go from grinder to Tormek.

I've also been using the black Tormek stone since so many of my tools
are HSS. This speeds up things as well. Re-grinding profiles on HSS is
a bitch using a Tormek only. Which is why this is my current project.

btw - I like the sharpening setup in the current FWW. I'm going to
build one of those as well.