BigWallop

Default Choosing location for kitchen appliances

"Mark Webb" wrote in message
. uk...

We're trying to lay out the appliances for a new kitchen, and would
appreciate some impartial advice on a couple of queries please.

1) Is there any issues with placing a free standing larder (tall) fridge
next to a tall built in over housing?

None that I would know of. The oven and fridge should be separated by the
kitchen unit wall and both their insulated skins.

2) Given the need to position an extractor hood over, is there any problem
with locating an electric hob right up to a window opening (i.e. along
side, not in front of)? No curtains but probably an inset blind in the
reveal.

A hob is best positioned against an inside wall with splash back surface for
heat and hygiene reasons.

3) To position a built in over near a corner, how much side clearance
should there be to stop the oven scorching the cabinets facing (around the
corner) when the door's open?

Having a oven door opening against anything with a decorative facing is a
no, no in my opinion. It's amazing how much heat emanates from the oven
when the door opens, so it will mark other surfaces with scorch and grease
stains.

I guess I don't trust the designers not to tell me to do whatever results
in the most cabinets/expense.

Mark W.

A kitchen should have cooking and washing up facilities at right angles with
each other for convenient working and hassle free transfer of dishes and
pots. The wet areas should all be together for convenience of plumbing and
drainage. The cooking areas should all be together for convenience of
ventilation and wiring or plumbing of their services.

We were told to remember the triangle form when we designed our kitchen.
The points of the triangle are made up from the storage area (fridge, larder
etc.), the wet area (sink, washing machine, dishwasher, etc.) and the
cooking area (speaks for itself really), with the straight lines between
them being worktop surface for serving up and food preparation areas with
all the knifes and mixing appliances etc.

When the kitchen is laid out in this type of configuration, it's then easy
to find out where the most power sockets are needed and where all the
plumbing needs to go, and then you can get it all this work done before you
start to fit the units.

Good luck with, and can we get some pictures when it's finished ?