Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Default Where can I get an old style non CARB 5-gal gasoline can?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:20:32 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

wrote:
(snip)

My gas can has a vent in the nozzle. When the nozzle get submerged it stops,
sorta. I've found that if I stick the nozzle an inch-and-a-half down in the
tank it cuts off pretty close to full. Other than the silly plastic
child-proof tab it has no other safety features on it. The thing I *don't*
like is that there is no good way to seal the can, other than putting the
plastic disc between the nozzle and the can, which means disassembling the
thing twice for each use.

I HATE my 5-gallon can. Even if I only put 4 gallons in it (now my
standard practice), the angles of the nozzle make it impossible to get
it down in the fill hole on my mower without a stream going across the
top of the mower first. These idiots need to look at some old cans, or
even a long-neck watering can, for some ideas on how to make a can you
can actually pour from. Even a little turn-down at the end of the nozzle
would help. Wonder if anybody makes a angled filler neck/funnel that
screws on to a lawnmower gas tank, and has a bigger larger lid, so you
could just leave it in place all the time? My can would work fine for
refueling a pickup truck.

I had one like that; left it in Vermont. The nozzle on the one I bought to
replace it is pretty flexible. I don't spill anything, even with a full can
and it shuts off before overflowing the tank, as long as I stick it far enough
in. Other than no good cap on the nozzle, it's fine. It seems none have a
good cap anymore.