Silvan

Default OT - Older Than Dirt Quiz - Part II

jo4hn wrote:

I once used the phrase "it's about 20 minutes of seven" in response to
my grandson's query. That earned me a blank stare. Taking that as a
request for further explanation, I related that to the hands on the
clock and it being the same as 40 minutes after. Then, which is the
same as 6:40. Might be useful information some day.

I grew up digital. 6:40. I got confused by geezers who insisted on using
strange terminology like "it's around a quarter 'til seven" to describe the
time 6:40:32.

Then something changed. I can't put my finger on what, really. I just
decided keeping track of time with digital precision is silly. I also got
far less hung up on punctuality.

My Casio Databank is still in a drawer around here somewhere, but I'm on my
third Timex Expedition now. I killed the first two by getting them caught
on things and ripping the band off so many times that the little metal
holes are wallowed out. They still run. None of them tell the same time,
and I like it that way.

It's about a quarter 'til noonish. Happy new year. Hope your head isn't
throbbing as badly as mine is.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/