Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default Oscilloscope Fluke PM3082 powersupply problem?

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:10:58 -0700, powerampfreak ǝʇoɹʍ:

On 14 Juni, 00:04, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 14:16:36 -0700, powerampfreak ǝʇoɹʍ:

I was given an oscilloscope, a Fluke PM3082 from a retired industrial
electronics engineer.
He said that during a measurement, the oscilloscope's powersupply
just bang and a flame came out of the rear panel. After this, the
scope was left for several years...until I got it. The mains fuse has
really exploded. Shattered glass in the fuse holder. A brief
examination of the primary side of the smps reveals no shorts. The
smps is an ordinary flyback supply. Mains rectifier ok, switch ok,
snubber, line filters all ok. Really don't know why the mains fuse
went. I just don't want to put a new fuse in and try again, not
before I investigate the cause.
Could an incorrect measurement setup cause the mains fuse to explode?
Anyone familiar with these scopes or perhaps has a service manual for
it?
Best regards
PAF

Flames out the back from an incorrect measurement set up? That would
have to have been one hell of a mistake.

I appreciate your wise input!
What I was thinking about, was if he in some way measured on mains live
net for some reason.
Like if he forgot to use the isolation transformer.

One would assume that this would be an unlikely scenario but not that far
removed from reality. Anything is possible I suppose and your knowledge
and diligence will no doubt find an answer. I would try to stick with the
cold hard facts and not let speculation muddy the waters.