Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Abby Sunderland Rescued!

On 6/13/2010 8:56 PM, dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
On 6/13/2010 2:17 PM, dpb wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
On 6/12/2010 7:57 PM, dpb wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

It remains to be seen whether she ASKED to be rescued.

???

Demasted in high seas halfway between Africa and Australia and you
think
there was a choice to be made????

Yep, rig a jury mast and creep to the nearest land. ...

Oh, yeah, right!

Call me cynical, but I don't think this girl would have a clue how to
even begin to do the first or have any idea how to sail w/o the
electronics to tell here where land might even be...

Maybe, maybe not. The thing is, you don't know her.

That's true I don't know her -- what I do know is that she's only 16,
not a seasoned sailor w/ 20 years' experience behind her to draw on from
which to improvise.

Doesn't take 20 years experience, it takes a modicum of mechanical
aptitude. And supposedly she has done a good deal of singlehanded ocean
sailing prior to this, so she's more "seasoned" than many.

I also know she ignored advice to reschedule
departure to avoid being where she was this time of year which is
notoriously bad weather period for the area.

Which reflects on her judgment but not on her ability to tie ropes and
cloth to a stick of wood (or aluminum or carbon fiber or unobtainium or
whatever else the pieces she has dragging in the water alongside the
boat are made of).