Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Abby Sunderland - Uh oh...

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 15:11:33 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On 6/13/2010 12:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote

Do you consider singlehanded ocean sailing to be "stunting"? How about
ocean sailing on the same boat with a crew? Or is it the age? What is
the demarcation between "sporting activity" and "stunting"?

There are a lot of factors. Sporting is skiing down the patrolled
slopes. Stunting would be going off a cliff not patrolled and seen as
risky.

I see. So it's "stunting" if it is not done in an area that is "patrolled"?

No, it's "stunting" if it's an unusual and dangerous endeavor. Add three
points for one that is sure to get widespread press coverage.

Sporting is running down the steps in the Empire State Building,
stunting is base jumping from it.

I see. So the risk of injury to others doesn't enter into it either.

A Winter sea rescue is risking injury to others. Though I haven't seen that
as a criteria here.

Maturity and skill level are more
important than age.

I once took a small (14') boat out in the ocean on a day that I should
not have. We realized this but could not safely turn around right away.
Once past the breakwater we turned around and came back into the bay.
Staying out there would have been foolhardy, going back was prudent.

Pity there was nobody around to charge you a million dollar rescue
insurance premium before you engaged in such a stunt.

Who said the premium should be $1M for a day sail? This is a pretty normal
event. A teen sailing in the South Seas in the winter is not, pretty much the
reason she was there, i.e. a pretty good definition of a "stunt".