Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Deep-thread screws...

Awl --

I think the whole sheetmetal/drywall screw thing is resolved with the "deep
thread" class of screws:
http://www.gardensheds.greenhouses.a...ew-threads.htm
http://www.theindustrialdepot.com/de...ead-screw.html

For example, a coarse sheetrock screw measures .094/.146 minor/major diam
The drill-point sheetmetal screw (that I wound up using) measures .130/.165.

So the SR screw, being a deep thread, has *a lot* more bite.

McNeely's has a variety of deep thread screws. One section is he
http://www.mcfeelys.com/search/fsl , altho it's not clear just how deep is
deep.
In http://www.mcfeelys.com/tech/dimensions.htm , it's not clear if "B"
(their body diam) is the same as the root diam.
If so, this is not as deep a thread as the name suggests.
McNeely's deep-threads (inch length) are about $20/1,000 -- McNeely's seems
pretty reasonable.

But here's the Q:

Can I get REALLY deep thread screws? What would they be called, or their
application classification?
I'm thinking on the order of .125/.200, ie, about .040 grabbing on the
radius.

I've hunted around, but haven't come across anything deeper than the reg.
deep thread spec.

Any ideas of what a custom run of screws might cost? Quan, $$ ?

I'm thinking if I ordered a standard #12 or #14 screw, and asked them just
to set the machine to cut a little deeper, I'd get the screw I wanted....

Iny ideas on who might do this?

--

EA