Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

On Jun 13, 12:14*pm, "William Wixon" wrote:
"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
I think a lot of the people who mix those abilities become doctors or
naval officers, not to say that the inverse is true.

jsw

naval officers, first one comes to mind is jimmy carter, a skilled
woodworker.

b.w.

It's because they live on and have to thoroughly understand very
complex machines, and hopefully posess the leadership ability to be a
ship's captain.

In his books Admiral O'Kane described the details of this and
celestial navigation from when he was a WW2 submarine executive
officer:
http://www.maritime.org/tdc.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_O'Kane

He was both the best and the second best torpedo shooter we had, the
catch being that as exec he did the aiming for the #1 scoring skipper
before he got his own boat. He attributed his skill to intensive
practice at judging the angle on the bow of the target, ie its course
relative to his position.

jsw