Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7400 Ignoramus7400 is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

On 2010-06-13, rangerssuck wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:44?pm, Ignoramus1737
wrote:
Appx. 22 years ago, as patr of my school curriculum, I underwent a
vocational class that culminated with me getting a lathe operator's
license.

I loved the class, though when we visited the actual factory where I
was told people with my training work, I realized that higher
education was the way to go.

Without that class, I am sure that I would not end up with a garage
full of machine tools.

With all due respect, Iggy, one of the reasons shop classes (and other
not-strictly-academic classes) are disappearing is because certain
parents are upset that their kids are reading "only" in the 92nd
percentile.

Percentiles are hard things. People whose kids are in 92nd percentile
make up only 8% of people. So they cannot be responsible for
everything. I personally would love to have a ship class at my kids'
school.