Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

Existential Angst wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Al Dykes wrote:

In article
,
wrote:
When I was in school, these were every boy's favorite, and almost the
only useful education we got.

The Voc-Tech I attended mumble decades ago had a first-class 3 year
machine shop program. I'm told it's now a good computer CAD/CAM
course.

They also had college-track electronics and mechanical engineering
programs. The Mech students got several semesters in machine shop.
There was nothing like that for us Electrical majors.

I got two years of metal shop, three years of wood shop, two of
drafting and two of electronics in the seventh through twelfth grades in
the '60s.

The school councilors wanted me to take a different path, and kept
harping on "wasting your IQ".

I think they might have been using "wasting your IQ" as in "wasting money",
the concern being that mebbe you would soon not have much to function with.
Talk about counselors with a crystal ball....

Yawn. All you do is talk about people's balls.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.