Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default dust masks for spectacle wearers? UPDATE

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 17:56:06 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

I don't have that mask but do have a 3M half mask. The lower strap
does go around your neck but very high up pretty much at the base of
the skull.

Thanks. I guess I just need to slacken mine a little so that it
doesn't press so hard.

they do come in different sizes but
finding them in the retail chain isn't easy. Arco list the 3M 6000
and 7500 half face masks in the three sizes.

I did consider a mask with replaceable filters but Arco was the only
seller I had heard of and I was nervous about buying from an unknown
company. I think the sites I found (via google) were selling boxes of
thirty filters, which might be ok if you wear the mask every day and
need to change filters regularly but it seemed over the top for DIY
use. Also there were so many different filters to choose from; I
wasn't sure which ones to buy. What do you fit to your mask?

(*) Might be tricky if the filter units don't detach, which I don't
think they do on the Screwfix 3M one as it's "maintenance free". This
also means that it should be disposed of a month after starting to be
used. A mask with replaceable filters, only the filters need
replacing.

The fact that this is a disposable filter made me delay buying it
because it seemed expensive to buy it and throw it away a month later
but I think the monthly rule is only for business use and if business
users are wearing it every day then it's probably a good idea to
replace it then. I am hoping that for DIY use it will last longer,
only I am not sure when I will know it is time to replace it. Perhaps
the strap will fall off or the filters will be black and I will know
it's time to buy a new one!