Posted to alt.home.repair
Evan[_3_] Evan[_3_] is offline

Default Self leveling and plywood

On Jun 12, 3:48*pm, cubby wrote:
On Jun 12, 2:18*pm, Evan wrote:

On Jun 12, 2:57*pm, cubby wrote:

I've researched this extensively without a clear conclusion, so time
to reach out to the people who have probably experienced it.

I have a plywood subfloor that has several uneven parts. *My plan is
to (1) level the worst spots with self-leveling cement; (2) add
another half inch layer of flooring plywood glued and nailed to the
joists. *Then I will felt the remaining uneven spots as necessary, and
staple hardwood flooring.

The self-leveling products do not lend themselves well to plywood I
know, and it certainly doesn't seem recommended to add hardwood
directly over SLC. *But I'm hoping that my "sandwich" approach will
work. *I have previously dealt with such problems by shimming and
using varying layers of felt. *But this hasn't always worked very well
- it's very difficult to deal with differences of more than a 16th or
so. *In this instance I am looking at some differences as great as
1/2". *I should add that the uneveness was caused by a previous
structural issue that has been fixed but that left a residual gap or
two.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

Cub.

Here is a better idea...

Why not actually fix the structural issues by adjusting the settled
floor joists... *Adding more crap on the top of an unevenly settled
sub-floor is only asking for more settling after you go through all
the trouble of making the floor temporarily level...

Finding out why your floor has settled unevenly and solving that
problem is the actual solution to your issue...

~~ Evan

As per original post, structural issues have already been fixed. *This
was where an addition joined the main structure, and at the
intersection (with a dividing wall between) the floor either side was
probably never level. There was also some sag on one side, which like
I say has been addressed. Now the dividing wall has gone, support
underneath replaced and there are no residual structural issues, but
there is an unevenness that I need to fix. *It's about 20 feet long,
varying in uneveness from nothing to 1/2" in one small patch but
mostly within 1/.4"

Umm, perhaps the structural issues are partially repaired but not
totally fixed, if they had been totally fixed the floor would have
been
returned to an almost level condition...

Complete the repair...

~~ Evan