Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Sweeping off, Re-tarring and re-gravelling roof.

Roof 40 year old, single storey, 62 by 39 feet (2480 sq.ft), simple
shed style low slope bungalow.

No valleys or dormers etc. Three roof apertures; brick chimney stack,
3" vent pipe and 2.5" electric service mast. Max. slope about 3 in 19
feet. Easy roof to access, driveway access to edge of roof.

Following site visit by a roofing contractor; received quote for a) Re-
tarring, repairs to edge flashing, repair to chimney flashing at a
total cost equivalent to about $2.70 US per sq.foot.

Alternatively; b) Complete tear off and new hot torch roof,
replacement of all edge flashing etc. at close to $5.50 per sq. foot.

Roofing contractor has good reputation and was recommended by area
school board maintenance Supt. after performing considerable amount
of similar work, mainly on flat roofed school buildings.

Welcome any opinions on how these numbers look. The roof is not giving
any trouble nor has any leaks. But it is 40 years old. It is not the
type of work nor have we the equipment, that as a retiree in mid 70s,
with friends and/or family we could perform ourselves.

The only other type of roof in common use here are are bitumen
shingled. But these are/were not for low slope roofs such as the
above.

Many thanks.