Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tracking down "excessive current"

"Cydrome Leader"
Phil Allison

** The good, old fashioned way is to use a larger fuse and wait for
something to get hot or start smoking.

Dunno about you, but I use a current meter in the AC supply for all bench
service jobs - it is sensitive enough ( 1mA resolution) to observe small
changes in the AC current draw and indicate if the current is creeping
up.
I also keep a book recording the normal current draws ( of and on load
for
amplifiers ) of everything I see.

this is an interesting practice- logging such info.

** Keep in all in my " little red book" - aka a telephone index.

Brand and model name/number, followed by idle current and typical on-load
current if any - makes it a doddle to check adjust bias settings on most
tube and SS amps.

I also list the primary ohms for transformer PSU items in the same index.

..... Phil