Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1737 Ignoramus1737 is offline

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

On 2010-06-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus1737 wrote:

Appx. 22 years ago, as patr of my school curriculum, I underwent a
vocational class that culminated with me getting a lathe operator's
license.

I took industrial arts many years ago until a drunk driver wiped out
David Blume, my instructor, and his family. He managed to instill
an interest in using my brains and hands to make things before his
life was ended way too short.

You were one of the lucky ones who were exposed to this sort of stuff,
almost by accident.

I loved the class, though when we visited the actual factory where I
was told people with my training work, I realized that higher
education was the way to go.

I'm a big fan of education when it encompasses real things like
math, physics, engineering, chemistry, and medical related
activities. Fuzzy things like polysci and the boutique activities
like race history and other non core liberal arts crap do not seem
worth the expense

I agree. I learned computer science.

Without that class, I am sure that I would not end up with a garage
full of machine tools.

Thinking people need outlets to channel their creative energies.
Using your brain in a non working environment keeps your mind agile
and is a healthy form of relaxation.

I agree, plus it is great to learn from you and others who know so
much more than me. I put the head on the CNC mill today, it was a pain
due to shop crane's legs getting in the way of the mill's base. I had
to shorten the legs and put a lot of weight on the back of the crane.